Σάββατο 12 Δεκεμβρίου 2009
from the book "New Tastes in Green Tea", by Mutsuko Tokunaga
"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream", Roberto Benini in "Down by Law" :))
* 2 cups milk
* 4 egg yolks
* 2/3 cups sugar
* 1 Tbsp cornstarch
* 1/3 tsp salt
* 4 Tbsp matcha + 2/3 cup hot water
* 1 cup fresh cream
* 1 medium orange, cut into sections
* fresh cherries
1. Heat the milk in a small pan to about 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Place the egg yolks in a pan and beat lightly. Add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. and mix thoroghly with a whisk. Gradually pour in the heated milk and stir, making sure that no lumps form. Strain the mixture and pour it back into the pan.
3. Place the pan over a low flame and cook until the milk thickens, stirring all the time with a wooden ladle. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Mix the matcha and hot water and stir briskly until the past becomes smooth.
5. In another bowl, whip the cream until semi-stiff, fold the milk, and add the matcha paste.
6. Pour into a metal or plastic container, and place in the freezer to set. After two hours of so, take it out and mix thoroughly with a spoon or whisk, then resume freezing. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times to ensure the ice-cream is smooth.
7. Serve with orange sections and cherries.